While the loud noises associated with tinnitus are an issue for many which cannot be ignored, there are also many other problems that this loud ringing in the ears can bring about such as difficulty concentrating, drug dependence, problems falling asleep, anxiety, fear, confusion, depression, withdrawing from family and friends, etc. If tinnitus is an issue, here are top 10 tips on how to stop the ringing in your ears.
Tinnitus is a very common affliction although it is not characterized as a disease in the medical profession but is considered to be more of a symptom of something wrong in the body. It roughly affects up to 20 percent of the general population. While many of these only deal with temporary tinnitus, or the noises heard do not bother them and can be comfortably ignored, or the sounds may be intermittent and faint, for many others tinnitus is a challenge besides the constant loud sounds. There are also the psychological effects that were mentioned above.
While technically there isn’t a “cure” unless there is a physical problem that can be identified and fixed (pulsatile or objective tinnitus), is most cases, a cause may be tough to pin down which means that a cure will be hard to find. In addition, various remedies and recommended treatments if they do work, may work for one sufferer but not for another and vice versa. Despite this, there are still various treatment suggestions that may work and are worthwhile to try on your part if you are searching for how to stop the ringing in your ears. With that in mind, here are top 10 tips of the many if you have asked the question, “how to stop ringing in my ear?”
1. Loud noises are a no-no when you have tinnitus or are at risk of developing tinnitus. Though the causes of most cases of tinnitus (subjective tinnitus) remain unknown, one of the risk factors that have been identified is subjecting yourself to very loud noises which can not only lead to hearing loss related tinnitus but can also worsen the symptoms of tinnitus.
Listening to very loud music, loud noises from common appliances in the home such as blow dryers, blenders, vacuums, power tools, etc, can increase the risk of developing tinnitus and if you have tinnitus, they can worsen the symptoms of tinnitus. Protect your ears when using any of these appliances and tools.
2. Try the herb ginkgo biloba which is a significant part of Chinese herbal medicine and has been shown in some studies to be an effective natural treatment for tinnitus. Adding a zinc supplement can also help increase the effects of this herb. For more in gingko, click here.
3. Melatonin is another safe, inexpensive natural remedy for tinnitus sufferers especially those who have trouble falling asleep because of the sounds in the ear(s). Melatonin is a hormone produced by a part of the brain in response to darkness and is crucial for regulating sleep and wake cycles.
Melatonin supplements can help you sleep better if insomnia is a problem as a result of tinnitus and is not habit forming unlike other prescription sleep medications.
4. Some medications both prescription and over the counter, can increase the risk of developing tinnitus and can also make tinnitus symptoms worse. These include but are not limited to aspirin, quinine in tonic water, chloroquine, ibuprofen, etc. If you are taking any of these medications and develop tinnitus or worsening of symptoms, stop using these medications or talk to your doctor about alternative medications that may work better for you without causing these tinnitus related issues. Changing your medication may be all you need to get rid of the ringing in your ears.
5. Impacted earwax can increase the risk of developing tinnitus or causing symptoms to be worse. There are various home remedies to remove impacted earwax or you can go to your doctor for the removal of this buildup of earwax. In addition to eliminating the sounds of tinnitus, your hearing may improve too once this impacted earwax is removed.
6. Another herb that may be recommended to stop ringing in your ears is horse chestnut. If your tinnitus is due to poor circulation in the inner ear that leads to hearing loss which increases the chance of developing ringing in ears, some research supports the use of horse chestnut to improve hearing and quiet the sounds of tinnitus. For more on horse chestnut, click here.
7. If you are dealing with stress, worry, anxiety, depression and other emotional issues as a result of tinnitus, you may want to consider anti-anxiety medications and antidepressants. These should be a last resort when you cannot manage your emotional issues by any other methods because these medications come with side effects including being addictive as well as being expensive so they should always be a last resort.
8. Technology may be your answer on how to stop ringing in your ears. This includes using white noise machines, hearing aids that include a masking device, biofeedback, neuromonics, etc.
9. Find natural methods to manage stress as this is one of the significant factors that is believed to increase the risk of developing tinnitus as well as the worsening of tinnitus symptoms. If you don’t learn to manage chronic stress, stress will manage you!
10. Lastly, and although it will not eliminate tinnitus, a tinnitus support group may be what you need if all else fails. Talking to others and sharing struggles with this affliction can help deal with the various psychological effects of tinnitus. This may even help you to ignore the sounds and go on about your life with no issues.
You may also discover remedies for tinnitus that you may be unaware of that may have worked for other sufferers in the support group which may work for you once you try them. Talking and sharing can have a significant positive impact while you are struggling with this condition. It can help the load you are carrying feel less weighty. Don’t be afraid to reach out. You may find solutions you may otherwise be unaware of.
These are just a few ways on how to stop ringing in your ears. For a holistic step by step guide on how to eliminate tinnitus permanently by addressing the imbalance in your body that is causing this condition, click here. Get relief in as little as 7 days using this natural guide.